Friday, February 7, 2014

Terrific Tianjin Travels


I took the high-speed train to Tianjin on Tuesday for a daytrip.  A round-trip ticket only costs around $16, and the train ride lasts about a half an hour one way.  I let my roommates plan the itinerary for the trip, and we saw some of the famous cites Tianjin offers.  That took approximately 2 hours, and we had the rest of the day free to explore Beijing’s twin city.  We visited the Italian concession first because of its proximity to the Tianjin train station.  Warning: This area is not a “Little Italy”.  I went with high hopes of pizza and spaghetti, and these hopes were quickly dashed.  Most of the historical, European-style buildings seemed dilapidated and unoccupied, but the architecture provides a welcome change from the homogenous structures of Northeastern China.

We also checked out the city’s “traditional” antique market nearby.  This is little more than an outdoor shopping mall designed to look old.  It is thronged with Chinese tourists, making the whole thing feel like Line 10 during rush hour.  Truthfully, it is filled with the same stuff that other souvenirs shops in China sell.  There isn’t much special about the district, and it is overhyped.  I recommend skipping it and exploring other parts of the city.        

However, if you go a few blocks over, you’ll find empty streets.  Here the city takes on the aura of a ghost town.  Tianjin features a huge amount of unoccupied real estate.  There are a few prominent examples of the phenomenon in Beijing, but Tianjin has it in spades.  Large, recently completed shops and office blocks sit eerily empty.  Parts of the city make you feel like you’re on a Hollywood set.  Also, watch out for Chinese tourists that will snap photos of you.  Below is a photo of a Chinese tourist attempting to photograph me eating chicken wings.  He didn’t ask, he just stuck the lens in my face and clicked away.  The good news is that as a result, I am the third most recognizable foreigner in western China (I joke). 
Still oblivious
At first I thought he wanted my chicken leg

Now I am pissed



Walking across the frozen river was a highlight of the trip.  Below are some photos.  A small section of the river was frozen, and you could rent sleds for the ice.  I decided not to fulfill my dreams of becoming a member of the Jamaican bobsled team because of the 40 Yuan price tag.  We witnessed a few brave souls setting off New Year’s fireworks on the ice.  The whole thing made for an interesting exercise in Chinese safety regulations. 





Tianjin made for a great “mini” vacation, and its proximity to Beijing means you only need an afternoon to experience the city.  

No comments:

Post a Comment