Monday, February 17, 2014

I Am Almost Fluent in English


Tutoring English as a part-time teacher stands out as one of my most rewarding experiences in China.  I currently teaching three classes a week and my students vary in age from 6 to 36.  The age difference between the students keeps things fresh, and one of the three classes is a group class of four working professionals.

 I am really enjoying reliving my youth through Dr. Seuss books with the six year old student.  I launched into a rant about how the Cat in the Hat Returns is derivative of its predecessor and not up to the good doctor’s usually high standards of originality. Eventually, I caught myself and came to the realization that this 6 year old kid in front of me couldn’t understand anything that I was saying, and he just wanted to hear/see how the fun cat in his funny hat made a mess of things.  Though my literary criticism was lost on my student, his mother in the other room laughed, so at least someone agrees with me.  Truly, Green Eggs and Ham remains the Godfather of children’s’ stories.

Teaching English also gives me a chance to learn about contemporary Chinese culture and Chinese views about US culture.  A few weeks ago, I spent 20 minutes trying to explain to my student that we make fun of our leaders in the west on a fairly regular basis.  This simple concept perplexed her, and she kept asking why we made fun of them.  I told her that it keeps them accountable for their actions and prevents idolization.  She finished by laughing and saying, “The media doesn’t make fun of leaders in China.”      

Other concepts are laughable as well.  Take the weather for example.  It is the “go to” topic for small talk, and I make sure that all of my more fluent students receive instruction in this much nuanced conversational topic.

Me – Been really hot lately

Student – Yes, yes it has.  But I think it is supposed to cool down later in the week.

Me – Really, that is good to hear.

Every American has had countless conversations along these lines.  However, do to cultural differences, the idea of passing the time or staving off awkwardness with a conversation about the weather is laughable to most Chinese.  This explains the funny looks I get when trying to break awkward silences in China.    

Occasionally a student will throw out some piece of party line history from a bygone era.  After all, China was a very different place 20 years ago you know.  A former student once told me that the Soviets SOLD East Germany to West Germany because they were running out of money.  I let it slide.  Who am I to miss with the guys perceptions of the past?  Besides, the last part holds some truth.  Truly communist states really frown on budget deficits and debt.   

They say teaching is the noblest profession, and after my experiences as a part-time English tutor, I am starting to agree.  The experiences challenges and rewards me each week, and seeing the progress of my students gives me a feeling of pride.  Also, teaching English, whether fulltime or part-time, is on everyone’s expat bucket list over here.              

No comments:

Post a Comment