Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Stealing Home.....and Taking It Abroad


I cannot wait until baseball season starts this spring.  Baseball has the honor of being the first sport my parents let me quit, which means I hold the least amount of resentment toward the sport.  As a result, my friends in college experienced far more success attracting me to baseball than other professional sport.  I also lacked any nominal geographic allegiances like I hold for the Pacers and the Colts.  How about those Pacers by the way?  They are kicking ass right now. 

I created a fantasy team last season with some friends from college, but only one friend and I actually played.  The sad thing is I finished 3rd and he won the league.  However, both of us had a ton of fun doing it.  We’re both joining a more serious league this upcoming season with some fraternity brothers of ours that are still in college.  This is the big leagues people.  They don’t allow you to auto draft here.  If you know of any underrated players that I should pick up, please let me know.

Great season last year overall, I must say.  Tigers (my team of choice) finished well, and there were some really exciting last-to-first division titles.  I remember giving a friend from college shit back when the Dodgers were in last place in April.  He is originally from LA, and man was he excited at their impressive playoff run.  And how about the impressive NL central?  Man those wildcard races are exciting.  I have a cousin who is a Reds fan and I saw a Facebook post about his disappointment at their wildcard loss to Pittsburgh.  That is the magic of the game.  You win, you lose, but there is always next year (see Cubs fans for advice on this phenomenon).  But let’s be honest the wildcard playoff is a gimmick, though one I whole heartedly support.  On any other day, the Reds might have pulled it out, but that is part of the magic of baseball.  Can a one game playoff tell us anything besides who is better that day?  No, not really.  But the Reds played a good season, and I look for the NL Central to be the most exciting division in baseball again this year.

The Chicago and New York baseball slump is quite funny, though I consider the Mets my backup (or in some cases NL) team.  Let’s be honest, no one wants to see the Cubs win the World Series because the space/time continuum would collapse.  Seriously though, most of my close friends are Cubs fans and sometimes I feel that I share their pain.  It is tough to keep supporting something that is doomed to fail.  The Cubs struggle is clearly the baseball equivalent of my love life, and for that, I hold out hope, however small, for the team from Chicago’s north side.  I think that the 1st and 2nd city slump is also good for smaller market teams, but that is my pragmatic side talking.

Speaking of the Cubs though, I took my mom to see a Reds/Cubs game last year when I went to Chicago to get my Chinese visa.  She was ready to go by the 3rd inning, and she bought merchandize for a team neither of us support, but I think she had an okay time.  I hope they never put the three remaining classic stadiums to the bulldozer.  I include Dodgers’ stadium because I have mad respect for it.  When it was built, people shit themselves because they thought it was too modern, now it is considered an old-school classic.  It’s pretty amazing what time can do to our perceptions, especially in a game as timeless as baseball.      

Despite my open-mindedness and progressive nature, I think we all can agree that interleague play is an abomination unto God that should be done away with.  I like it to a certain extent, but it is destroying some of the magic of the game.  I don’t really know how to effectively get rid of it while keeping the divisions balance though.  Maybe add some expansion teams.  If the Yankees and the Mets play every year, what is really so special about a subway series?

The idea of shuffling teams around brings up another good point.  There are some teams in the league that ought to move.  Look at the Rays for example.  Their recent success has made the community of Tampa Bay look like a pretty lethargic bunch.  For God’s sake, they play in a dome in Florida.  I’ll say this again.  They play ……in a DOME……in Florida.  Who the Hell thought that was a good idea?  And the A’s, one of baseball’s most historic and successful franchises, are still sharing a terrible stadium that is haunted by the ghost of Al Davis.  Why not move them to better markets that will embrace the team?  Maybe baseball ought to look at expanding the big leagues into Latin America.  Again, I am pretty open-minded, but for some reason I have a much easier time with the idea of a Latin American team winning the World Series than one from Canada……..Don’t judge me though.

So this opening day, I’ll be in the local hutong sports bar checking out the games on a 12-hour time difference.  Just please don’t rob my apartment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment