Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Passport to Asia


Beijing has a great location that makes it easy to travel to other destinations in Asia.  I am currently in the process of choosing some travel destinations for spring and summer.  I hope to visit one domestic and one international destination.  Also, I am currently looking for someone to travel with.  Those interested, please submit a notarized resume with a least one letter of recommendation.  I will contact you if I desire an interview with you.  After the success of my trip to Korea (I stress the relativity of this term), I have high hopes for more travels around Asia.     

Japan – Just a short flight away, Japan offers all the comforts of home but with an Asian twist. 
            Pros – Japanese baseball, food, awesome cultural and historic sites, and no visa required
            Cons – Japan is very, very expensive and the weather isn’t any better.   

 Vietnam – Common misconception, US/Vietnamese relations have been quite good since the Chinese invasion of Vietnam.  Why not travel there then?  The country has some great beaches, and Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) is supposed to be a great and exciting place. 
Pros – Cheap, warm, and sprinkled of French and American influences.  It is supposed to be like the less commercial Thailand.  Cool Vietnam War stuff to visit. 
Cons – I need to obtain a visa to travel to Vietnam, and I heard that not many people speak English.   

India – I have always wanted to visit the Indian subcontinent.  From Bombay to Calcutta (Mumbai to Kolkata) it would truly be a dream vacation.
Pros – Food, great history, great weather (unless it is monsoon season).  I am really into British colonial history, so visiting India is a must before I die. 
Cons – The subcontinent is simply too big to do in less than a month.  I’d only get to see a fraction of the country.    

Xinjiang – Chinese westernmost autonomous region (province) offers its own distinct culture and is only a simple rail journey from Beijing
Pros – Great “Muslim” food (that is what they call food from the region in Beijing), fresh air.  The rail journey would be really fun with a group of friends.   
Cons – That simple rail journey mentioned earlier is also 48 hours.  Due to civil unrest in the region, it might be closed to foreigners come vacation time.   

TibetOh course, you knew it was going to make the list.  Truly one of the brightest, though reluctant, jewels in the Chinese cultural crown. 
Pros – The pinnacle of traveling with amazing scenery.  Also, another potentially memorable train journey if I go with the right group. 
Cons – It is really hard to get to…..both geographically and politically.  Also, it will likely be cold no matter what time of year I visit. 

I’ll make sure to post more information as I narrow down the choices.  Also, be on the lookout for “South Korea has got Soul: Part II”

No comments:

Post a Comment