Saturday, January 25, 2014

Freaking Out the Neighborhood


Note: The title comes from a song by Mac Demarco, a musician (that I'd never heard of before) who I saw play the Mao Live House a few months back.

I cannot say enough good things about my apartment and the area where I live.  I won’t say exactly where I live, because I like having both of my kidneys inside of body.  However, I will say that it’s near the Beixinqiao subway station.  The neighborhood is at the intersection of Beijing’s two coolest neighborhoods, Gulou and Lama Temple.  I know what you are going to ask…What makes it so cool?  The short answer is proximity.  It is centrally located near restaurants (Chinese and non-Chinese), bars, and night clubs, and cultural destinations.  Don’t want to brag but I made Monday’s Good Morning Beijing blog post of The Beijinger.  I went and watched the NFL playoffs, at 4am mind you, at a local hutong bar, called Cuju, very close to my house.  However, the bottomless coffee proved more dangerous than any form of booze.  I drank so much coffee that at one point time literally stopped.  The proceeding 12 hours passed in a matter of seconds, and Einstein’s theory of time’s relativity was proven before my eyes. 

The point is….I was able to wake up at 4am and walk there, have a goodtime, and come home and get to work on time.  Coming from a suburban wasteland, the idea of using my legs as a method of transportation over short distances is still a novelty.  Word of advice to whomever may be reading (don’t worry, I am realistic.  I know no one reads this shit.lol).  There are only three sorts of places to live; middle of nowhere, small town, or big city.  The suburbs are where originality, fun, and excite go to die.  Back to the topic at hand, I have had so much fun exploring the neighborhood over the last few months.  A good neighborhood can make all the difference.  Beijing has the worst traffic in the world, they most delayed airport, and the smog is taking years off my life, but that doesn’t matter so much when fun and excitement are right outside your door.  Remember, they aren’t paying me to say these things.  However, if a representative for the area would like to compensate my unintentional sales plug, please don’t hesitate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment