Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cafe Identity Crisis


Now is the portion of the blog where we highlight some of the community’s standout local businesses.  I want to remind my reader (yes, there is only one of you) that they don’t pay me any money to say these things, because they pay me in gift cards instead. hahaha

Seriously though, my favorite café in Beijing is experiencing a bit of an identity crisis.  It just added its third name to the sign outside.  The place is now called “Beetle in the Box”, “Former Waiting for Godot (Chinglish)”, and “LP”.  For the sake of simplicity, I will just refer to it as Beetle in the Box, or the Beetle for short.  The interior of this place certainly doesn’t make the Beijing air anymore breathable, but that only adds to the ambiance of the place.  The walls are lined with American and European LP’s from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s, including a copy of Weird Al’s Eat It that always makes me smile. 


My roommate and I frequently go to the café to play Chinese chess.  I’ve spent hours in this place during my afternoons.  The owner has an affinity for antique AV equipment, and they play old American films and music.  I gotta compliment them on their taste in music and movies too.  No real theme exists except for the concept of “if we like it, we use it”, and this is more than alright with me. 

The Beetle goes to show that not having a distinct identity can be an identifying characteristic.  And that good atmosphere can go a long way.        

No comments:

Post a Comment