Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Bookworm - My Favorite Place in Beijing


You really have to hand it to the people who run the Bookworm, they know what they are doing.  The establishment clearly caters to ex-patriots, myself included.  It has a fully stocked bar featuring craft beers and the ever popular Pimm's, great food, and of course lots of books.  They really know how to target the expat market really well.  I bought a 1 - year library subscription from them yesterday (cost: 300 RMB).  It's a great deal for me because I can check out books for my English students (see future blog posts for more information).  The place serves as a central-hub for expats from all over the world.  Just the other day, a Swedish man stopped me in the street and asked for directions there.  That's right, just out of the blue, he asked me to help him find this treasured Beijing institution.  I simply had to tell him to follow me, because that was where I was headed.  Their rooftop area is one of Beijing's true gems, and the establishment hosts many events such as movie screenings and author talks.  The movie screenings are geared toward a slightly older crowd and feature some of the biggest movies from the 1980's (before my time).  Whenever I feel homesick or bored, I always make an effort to stop by the Bookworm and browse through the shelves.  And of course have a drink or two.   

No comments:

Post a Comment