Wednesday, July 17, 2013

In Praise of Paul Simon's Graceland

I know....I know, there isn't a person on earth that doesn't love this album, but did you ever stop yourself to ask why?  For me, this album was my first introduction to any popular music from the continent of Africa.  It opened a door onto an area of music that many didn't even know existed.  Aside from the African melodies and musicians, Simon really created his own personal magnum opus with this album.  I don't know why that girl in New York City calls herself the "human trampoline," (I can think of a few possible reasons of the top of my head) but I love that lyric.  If you still haven't listened to this one, do the world and yourself a favor and pick it up.  I saw a review for the anniversary edition that called the album "musical prozac."  I must say that I completely agree with their assessment.  The album is sure to put you in a good mood, and is a lot cheaper than a prescription drug habit.    

No comments:

Post a Comment