Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Audio Books: An Alternative to Alternative Rock

I have never been too fond of audio books as a substitute for the real thing.  Remember when they were called book-on-tapes.  Man the 80's and 90's were crazy, right?  Mostly, I use them as something to help me fall asleep.  Sort of like a sleeping bill made from the voices of B-list celebrities.  Every time I hear the dude who played Carlton on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reading Timeline, I become a narcoleptic. I just don't really retain much of the story from audio books, and this problem has led me to avoid them for the past several years.

However, I recently purchased one from audible.com, Amazon's audio books website.  I got really pissed when I realized that I'd purchased the abridged version by accident, but truthfully it was my own fault.  I leaped before I looked.  My experience listening to the story has been mixed.  On the one hand I needed a change.  I listen to my ipod during my half hour commute everyday, and I have simply run out of music.  Obtaining new music remains a challenge here in China, and a good audio book was a great, though expensive alternative.  On the downside, the dangers and distractions of the Beijing jungle prevent me from catching everything that happens in the story.  I am constantly asking myself how certain characters got into situations, or in some extreme cases, who the characters even are.

I will definitely have to read the actual book someday.  It is book two of a three book Star Wars trilogy, and I want to complete reading them before the new Disney-ized films hit screens.  When getting an actual copy of the book proved too expensive (tai gui la), I decided to find and download the audio book online.  Besides at this point in my life, I have a backlog of books that I need to read.  I plan to use audio books as a way to listen (read) classics that I'd otherwise skip.  Anyone up for War and Peace while trapped in Beijing traffic?

Of course, the recent surge in Star Wars related press influenced my choice in audio book.  I even hear their planning on giving Boba Fett his own film, which is awesome, because everyone loves the Fett-man.....

     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment