Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Zhong Guo Revisited

It’s no secret that Beijing doesn't winter very well.  The layout of the city means walking a half an hour to get anywhere, and all the coal needed to support government sponsored heating encases the city in a bubble of toxic smog.  However, Beijing does summer right, so I am lucky to return to a warm, relatively unsmoggy city after my three week trip to America.  I waited all winter to use the deck at my apartment, and I have already logged some serious hours on it playing xiang qi (Chinese chess).  I also get the opportunity to enjoy the city’s countless rooftop cafes and bars.  Although, let’s just say many of them likely wouldn't be “up to the safety codes” in the United States, they are still a great, if unsafe, way to enjoy the warm, dry Beijing summer. 

The tourist started their migratory return to Beijing's many tourist sites, so knowing how to dodge the masses has become a key to navigating the city, especially since my move inside the second ring road.  I am hoping to entertain some visiting tourists of my own, and I am currently pressuring my mother and father to come visit China this summer. 


Not going to lie, it was kind of tough leaving Mei Guo to come back to the uncertainty of Zhong Guo.  I am still unsure about my plans for next year, but I will likely be spending another year in the Chinese capital.  This is good considering that I haven’t gotten to travel very much in Asia.  There are many great places, both inside and outside of China that I want to visit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment