Monday, April 21, 2014

Capital Sounds

Like Taiwanese and Hong Kong pop music from 20 years ago?  Then mainland China is the place for you my friend.  I must admit that I am not very fond of the genre, and neither are most expats.  However, there is hope because the Beijing music scene is quite exciting and has much more to offer than just soundtracks to Jackie Chan movies.

Carsick Cars playing somewhere
Many of the city's up and coming rock groups have very small followings among the Chinese population.  The band “Carsick Cars”, who just released their new album, are very hot in the west.  They played in Paris a couple months ago, and people simply lost their minds.  They also gained considerable attention when they opened for the Sonic Youth during part of their European tour.  In my personal opinion, their new album is great.  Despite favorable praise from western journalist and a strong following among foreigners, both inside and outside China, the band remains relatively unknown in their home country. 

The Beijing Beatles
Some of the city’s most popular music acts are western cover bands.  Last month it seemed like the Beijing Beatles played a show every single night of the week.  I myself saw them twice in one weekend.  Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but don't expect to see a Chinese Ringo dressed in a Sgt. Pepper's uniform on stage.  This fab four is Australian.  I know...I know.  I was disappointed too.  There is also the Beijing Dead, a local Grateful Dead cover band that is starting to play a lot of shows around town.  I haven't had the privilege of seeing them yet.  Don’t know if I have the patience to sit through a 20 minute rendition of “Truckin’”, but if you’re into that...whatever floats your boat. 


The various venues around town usually hold open mic nights at least once a week.  Prepare to be impressed with some of the city’s talent.  Most of the participants, by that I mean the vast majority, are expats, and they are usually very good.  Anyone looking to see the next hip Chinese act that will have the west talking, before they get jailed for dissidence, should definitely make a trip to Beijing.

Note: My phone and computer are no longer speaking to each other, so I must now rip photos off the internet....enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment