Monday, October 14, 2013

Great Reads in the Red Capital


While in China, I have been catching up on my reading.  Like many of you, I neglected reading for pleasure in college due to a lack of free time and sobriety.  Now that I have learned firsthand just how boring the working world is, I have filled my free time with some great books from the Bookworm here in Beijing.  I just finished Lonesome Dove, and I can safely say that it is the best book I have ever read.  If you haven’t read this one, do yourself a favor and go pick up a copy from your local library.  Hell, I’ll give you mine if you promise to read it.  My feelings toward Lonesome Dove came as a relief because two of the “classic” novels I read preceding Lonesome Dove disappointed me.  I finished Midnight’s Children in the beginning of July and The Master and Margarita in August.  Both are widely regarded as classics, but I just couldn’t get into the whole magical-realism vibe and I fear that many of the Indian political references in Midnight’s Children went over my head.  I noticed a copy of tMaM on a friend’s family bookshelf while I was staying with them in LA.  His mother couldn’t stop applauding the book, which leads me to believe I missed something while reading.  Or maybe I just didn’t like it.  I started the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy yesterday just because it is so different from Lonesome Dove.  I bought the book years ago at a used bookstore and have always intended to read it.  As I continue my exile here in Beijing, I know I’ll burn through quite a few books this winter while keeping warm (literally and figuratively), and I definitely plan on reading some books by Chinese authors.  Let me know if you have any suggestions.    

No comments:

Post a Comment