Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Back in Beijing


Returning to Beijing resulted in mixed feelings. I spent three months trying to make this

place my home, and just when it starts to feel normal I return to the America for three weeks.

However, nothing feels like getting to sleep in your own bed and lounge on your own couch.

It is also badass to have a roommate again. One of the unexpected downsides of living out

of hotels is the loneliness. I was hoping for more of a Dunsten Checks In kind of vibe. My

journey to the United States did allow me to stock up on some things that I cannot find in

China including music, books, and cloths. I haven’t been able to stop listening to the new Arctic

Monkeys album AM. It’s awesome. I couldn’t find it in Beijing so I picked up a copy while in

America. Also I gained back some of the weight I lost. I didn’t realize how much I missed cheap

Mexican food and Americanized Chinese food. Traveling to America also meant that I could

binge on American sports. Because of the time change (12 hour difference with the east coast),

Chinese bars don’t often show American sporting events live. I took the opportunity to enjoy

the life of the armchair athlete. How about that MLB postseason, right? I’ve some photos of my

trip to pre-government shutdown DC. But after all the traveling, it’s nice to return to my exile in

Beijing.

2 comments: