Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Palma Violets 180 Review



While traveling in England, I had the chance to snag a copy of this bands debut and see them at the 100 club.  Let's start with the album review.  Yes, it doesn't come out for a few weeks in the US, and no I am not sure if this is legal.  However, I bought the album off the shelves, so I think it is okay.  For a debut, this work is impressive.  These guys made a record that rivals far more established acts in terms of fun, listenability, and repeat playability.  "180" quickly replaced last year's "Lonerism" as my standby album.  The energy and recklessness of the band ooze from every track.  Also, it is refreshing to hear a vocalist with a lower range for once.  Two great tracks bookend this album with the energy of "Best of Friends" and the exhausted angst of "14."  My main hope is that this band can deliver a followup equally as good.  Listen to this album and you will not be disappointed.

Review: 9/10

Stand out tracks- Last of the Summer Wine, Best of Friends, 14

Live Review

Anytime I visit London, I make a pilgramage to the 100 Club.  This time, I was lucky enough to catch Palma Violets shortly after NME crowned them as the United Kingdom's best new band.  That Monday night, they lived up to the title.  After two great opening acts, they took the stage and electrified the crowd.  Everything from the vocals to the drums personified rock.  It is no wonder that some compare the ramshackle energy of the band to the Libertines.  By the end of their set, chaos had broken loose as the crowd stormed the stage.  With live performances like this, Palma Violets deliver on all accounts.  A new "must see" band has truly hit the music world and is taking it by storm.  Make sure to catch them when they make it to America.  

2 comments:

  1. Perfectly fine to write about an album, even if it hasn't been released in the United States. I have tons of albums that have never received a U.S.-release on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete